As the temperatures dropped and winter started to set in this year, we were a little nervous for three reasons:
1. Insulation – We’d never been through a winter trying to heat this house before. We’d taken our house from 0% insulated to 100% insulated, but the only way we were going to find out whether [...]
I recently read Nicole’s blog post about being on the “treadmill of modern day life” as she and her husband endeavour to transition “from a hectic Southern Ontario lifestyle to a back to the land approach that will hopefully lead [them] to Nova Scotia in search of a simpler life.” Nicole recognizes that she’s “building [...]
I used to live on the west coast of Canada, where we almost never got any snow. When you never get snow, the slightest hint of the white stuff makes people go crazy and there’s a snowman in every second yard.
Now, I live on the east coast of Canada, where snow is a part of [...]
1. When the sun reflects off the snow, the world looks so bright and happy.
2. Winter is the bug-free season.
3. And it’s curling season!
4. Spotting animals tracks in the snow opens your eyes to secret mammal lifestyles you wouldn’t otherwise know about.
5. Winter makes summer that much sweeter.
6. There’s no grass to cut.
8. Hanging [...]
Snowy Driveway, I know it’s not your fault.
But, really, we’ve talked about this before; you must behave.
When there’s the least bit of wind, you allow your three-foot snow drift sides to blow right down into the driveway again. And this is simply unacceptable.
Now, I know it’s not the best situation, Snowy Driveway. I know you’re [...]